If you’re looking for something fun for the whole family to do in the area this is a must-attend event. On Friday, February 16 in Downtown Summerlin there will be a celebration of the Lunar New Year – the year of the Dog. The time of the parade will be at 6 p.m. at 1980 Festival Plaza Dr. Las Vegas Nevada, 89135. You will be entertained with an oversized Chinese dragon, characters dressed as lions with percussionists, Chinese stilt walkers and amazing fan dancers performing a dance for all to enjoy. The property will also distribute red envelopes filled with chocolate gold coins and surprise gift cards to people in attendance while supplies last.
Note: This event is free to the public.
What is a Chinese Lunar New Year?
- Chinese New year is China’s most important festival and holiday.
- The next Chinese New Year falls on Friday, February 16th, 2018 beginning a year of the Dog which is the same day as the parade. The date is decided by the Chinese lunar calendar, and it changes every year, but it’s always in the period January 21 to February 20.
- The Chinese New Year originated and is celebrated in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan, and in many of China’s neighboring countries such as Singapore and South Korea.
- Each Chinese year is associated with an animal sign according to the Chinese zodiac. Chinese traditionally believe that years begin and end at Chinese New Year. 2018 is the year of the dog.
- The most common New Year gifts are red envelopes. Red envelopes have money in them and are believed to bring good luck because they are red.
Either before or after the parade you might be in the mood for some Chinese food below is a map of nearby Chinese restaurants.
Are you thinking about buying or selling in Summerlin?
I am a local expert and am here to help guide you through your home buying or selling experience.
I hope that you enjoyed this popular Sun City Real Estate Tips article!